Sunday 13th March 2016 – Monday 9th May 2016
Early March saw me taking a ‘quick’ trip over to the West Coast, specifically to Perth and Fremantle to visit friends. We booked to stay in the Old Firestation Backpackers in Fremantle which was honestly one of the best and most ‘home like’ hostels I have stayed in since coming to Australia. Every single member of staff was welcoming and friendly, there was free pool tables and televisions with Netflix and even a girls only lounge to escape from the boys! Brilliant!
The boys had settled into construction jobs pretty quickly which left me with with full days on end to occupy myself, something which I found slightly difficult. Turns out there isn’t an awful lot to do on the West Coast and no tourist spots are accessible sans car. Not like the East Coast and their Greyhound busses! And so I threw myself into being a top housewife, endless beach days and the odd day out here and there. The West Coast is beautiful and less touristy than the East coast was, meaning that a large portion of the natural beauty is unspoilt. However like I said, not very accessible. Despite this I did enjoy my time spent here and I’ll definitely be back next year with a van to drive the coast in full and see everything that there is to offer. Top times in Perth and Fremantle included;
- Rotnest Island (Best.Day.Ever. Full post to come)
- Kings Park (big climb, view of the city)
- Little Creatures Brewary (what more can you say about free beer tasting?! Sozzled.)
- Fremantle Harbour (boats and seagulls)
- Cottesloe Beach (stunning sunsets and the best ice cream I’ve ever had)
- Farm Friends visiting for burgers and beers (for $5 a go we’d have stayed all night!)
- Freo Arts Festival (mainly lots of men in tight pants flinging themselves about)
- Fish and Chip flavoured gelato (what?!)
- 22nd Birthday on the beach (woohoo!)
Then one I had a call from my Grandparents to say they were coming to Australia for a month long visit and so off I raced to Sydney, where I still am now writing this post. And I was doing so well keeping uptodate! West Coast, I’ll be back!